Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I SO want to post photos tonight.....

Yeah, looks like Blogger is not into letting me upload tonight. BOO! I have some great photos of the kids at Grandma and Grandpa's pool and also some fun extended family shots as well as new golf themed cupcakes...

In other news...Fig & Ruby now has a BLOG!!! Please go check it out and bookmark us so that you can go back regularly to see the latest and the greatest in my creative world!

For those of you who are wondering what all the hype is about, here is a brief-ish introduction to Fig & Ruby:

I have had a passion for all things crafty and creative as long as I can remember. My mom and I made regular trips to Michael's or Ben Franklin's over the years. My mom threw me and my brother the best parties growing up (thanks mom!!). I got the party planning bug in high school when I planned many events in student government: (starting with the MORP...Gretch- got any pics of that??!! ) Proms, Formals, Homecoming, Rallies...this love spilled over into cheerleading with planned themed dinner nights. Next came a few rediculously fun planning sessions with my 4 best friends, halloween parties, birthdays for our moms, birthdays for us...Next thing I knew I was planning my wedding and throwing bridal showers for my friends which naturally lead into helping with details for their weddings. Paralell to the fun of the weddings and showers, I was discovering the pure BLISS of kid's parties!!! I remember obsessing for months about Mikayla's first birthday! By Mikayla's 3rd birthday, I decided to brave the world of cake decorating after my sweet Aunt Barbara gave me her doll pan. (thank you!!) That was 5 years ago and I have since made over 100 cakes for my kids, for family, for friends and now I get hired by people I do not know as well!! So that is me in a nutshell.

Enter Patricia...for a few years now, we have enjoyed discussing all the minute details of whatever party for one of our kids that was on the horizion. We naturally bounced ideas off of eachother and worked really well together on projects. Her sister got married in April of this year and I helped with some of the details. The wedding planners took notice and asked to hire Patricia. She and I talked and we decided to start a company. We work closely with Stage Right, providing fun items that their brides request. One of our big dreams is to plan parties...not weddings but kid's parties, 25th anniversaries, 30th birthdays, etc. The cake business of mine is now under the Fig & Ruby umbrella which seems like a perfect fit. Patricia is also gifted in administration which is such a blessing as anyone who knows me would agree, I am not!

We have officially thrown our first event, a 50's themed party. The pics are on our blog!

The name....

Everyone keeps asking about the name so here is my explanation:)

-We wanted a fun, fresh name, one that did not define us or put us in a box as we have so many areas of interest and we are still discovering what best suits us.
-Patricia suggested we zero in on finding a fruit and a color that sounded nice together!
-Proverbs 31:10-28 describes the "excellent wife" as having worth far above rubies. She works with eager hands, makes things and sells them, sees that her tradings are profitable, watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness...WOW! What an awesome example! Ruby seemed a perfect word to go in our name!
-Fig looks and sounds cute with Ruby!

Please go check out the blog! I am so thrilled to be on this adventure!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your business! I've been admiring your cakes and I think it's great that you can channel your skill into a business.

Christa Wiens said...

I am having flashbacks to childhood with you. I remember how much you loved Scribbles and all their super-cool personalized products! I also remember vividly a birthday party at your house involving swimming and silly string. I don't remember who was there besides Gretchen, but it's a strangely clear snapshot in my mind. Anyway, this is the perfect thing for you. Congratulations!

Grandpa Russ said...

Congratulations!

You will soon discover the joy of not punching somebody else's time clock. . . But the joy is balanced by the stuff "behind the scenes" - LOL!

The fact that you and Pabby work well together is so important in a partnership - "Ying & Yang", if you will.

You're on your way!!

Love,
Dad

Unknown said...

Colleen, you are a Proverbs 31 wife and mother...what a perfect name for your business with Pabby. I am so glad we had a craft closet at home!

The Obwald family said...

I love the explanation of your name at the end of the intro Fig & Ruby co entry! I love that you love it!
erin